First Active Day, September 2nd, 2017

Wow.  I did a lot!

Went visit my mother, whom I haven’t seen much since December.  Then Walmart for shopping (1 hr!).

Walmart was rough, but I survived (with help).  About 1/2 through the shopping experience, my hands stopped working and then my arms.  I was already in the wheel chair, as I was exhausted from the visit with my mother.  It was weird the way it happened.  Kathy and I were looking at sausage.  I wanted to see a package, went to pick it up… and my hand didn’t close!  The package went flying.  I laughed and said, “well, my hands don’t work anymore.”  I was still able to power myself in the wheel chair for about another 2 minutes then I lost strength in my arms.

Hali was my angel and pushed me the rest of the way.  I soon couldn’t even lift items she would put in my lap into the buggy, or even to hand them to her.  My arms just decided they had enough.

Getting back into the CR-V was rough, but I made it.  I recovered a  bit by the time we got home and quickly ensconced myself into my recliner.  Kathy fixed lunch, we ate and I slept for 2 hours solid.

I do mean solid.  I was in the living room. Kathy in the bedroom, napping.  Hali was drawing in the living room while I was sleeping.  While I was asleep, Fedex delivered a server for me.  Hali drug the 36 lb system into the living room next to me and tried to wake me.  She said I didn’t even stir.  So, she let me sleep.

When I woke up, she called a friend she has in the neighborhood.  I opened the server to insure all the parts were there and explained to him the concept of redundancy.  A server is a beautiful thing! I had him lift the server into place and we began configuring it.

Kathy woke up and they prepped the house for company.  During this time, I varied from being able to hobble to having to sit in the wheel chair.  At one point, I ventured too far from the chair and almost made a dive roll for it as my legs began to give out.

We had a friend over for the LSU game.  I think they won.  But, we had a marvelous time with our friend.  I promised that we would go shoot pool and it would be hours of enjoyment.  I figured she and I could play cut-throat with Kathy being the target, but with one additional rule:  If I make one ball into a pocket that I intend to… We win automatically.

Seriously, though, I am looking forward to doing activities that require fine motor control such as pool.  I don’t see where I have any fine control to speak of, and typing is becoming a challenge.  I’ve been typing since 1981 and I hate to see that skill go as it is an integral part of my life.  But, I digress.

Company departed, Kathy and I settled in for sleep.  My body, now rigid and painful from the day, I took a Benadryl to force sleep in what I thought would be a sleepless night racked with spasms…..

Here it is, morning.   I slept all night.  My muscles are moderately rigid, but the only spasms that I can note is the palm and fingers of my right hand.  What a blessing!!! Kathy and I expected, as history has shown, with over doing it, I trigger a huge spasm set.  Here it was, an extremely active day for me, and I was able to sleep!  I do believe we are approaching a crossroads with the medication.

Today is going to be a day of rest for me as tomorrow is Labor Day, and we have more friends coming over.  I don’t think I can do it, but I want to be the one to cook at the grill.  I’m still not really successful at standing or sitting without reclining.  But, I’m hoping I’ll figure out a way to be that person at the grill.

We are making progress.  I am pleased. I feel that the meds have lowered my spasticity to a level where massages are possible.  The massages, when performed very shortly after the muscles go rigid, work to loosen them and lengthen my mobility time.  There is a diminishing return, however.  Repeated massages in a short time have little benefit, and my muscles eventually go rigid.  However, my recovery time has shortened.  The time to reduce severe pain to manageable, has dropped from a day to a few hours.  That, is something to be thankful for.  Being in severe pain for 36 hours is not fun. I don’t wish it on anyone.

I don’t know what the day will bring.  I have minor spasms here and there, and a constant one in my right hand.  But, I know I was able to do things yesterday and with rest and the Lord’s help, I will be able to do things again…. shortly.

God Be Praised!

Thanks for reading,

Jay C. Theriot